Saturday, May 14, 2011

Community living

Community.....
God creating us as he did knew how very essential this would be in our journeys, something we could not do without. He created this need, this craving within us to draw us to himself and to others. Just as He, The Christ and The Spirit are in perfect community our spirits long for the same. This has become very real to Mark and me over the past 3 years living in Honduras. As time passes we are more acutely aware of the void that is in our lives...in our hearts..in our souls. We so miss the community we shared with in our church, our friends, our work places. Each of these circles of community fed our souls and without them the feeling of isolation grows.

We have all known the long loneliness and we have learned that the only solution is love and that love comes with community. Dorothy Day

I'm not at all sure what is to be done, it is what it is, as my husband would say. We throughly love our life and our life's calling. It is simply a part of that life and that calling.
It is like any experience that brings you to new understandings..... deeper understandings about life, God and yourself. Growth comes with some discomfort.
I try to look for the benefits of this season in the midst and I do see them..Mark and I continue to grow closer.... we took up running together which we both enjoy the shared interest and these things are good, very good. It is fighting feelings that cause us to focus on loneliness, discouragement and the wandering thought of "can we do this"
But this I know.... we can and we want to..it is just that the journey is sometimes hard. It is bizarre when you are experiencing your best dream and worst nightmare all at the same time.

2 comments:

Shane and Hope said...

I totally understand what you are saying. Shane and I struggled with this a lot on the mission field and are struggling with it to some extent right now. It is a strange feeling to be totally surrounded by people but to not feel connected to them. I will be praying for you and Mark and for God to bring someone into your lives. I love you!

Shane and Hope said...

By the way this is Hope. :)