Sunday, May 29, 2011

Just breathe

I am trying to become really in tune to my breathing while I run. I am finding that [this] exercise is such an important part of the run. It is the element that will make me or break me. When my breathing becomes "off" my run become labored and difficult. I often have to stop re-group and restart. I think this is why I struggle more when I run in hotter tempts, for whatever reason when it is hotter I struggle to keep my breathing paced and consistent. I have read and heard many different approaches to breathing and running..this is what I know to be helpful
1) Breathe through your mouth AND nose. This provides the amount of oxygen to the body it needs to run. When I have tried the "in through the nose out through the mouth" practice I struggled because I constantly felt winded.
2) Take full and complete breaths. I like for my breaths to feel deep but comfortable
3) Exhale completely as well, use your lung capacity.

So I am trying to count to 3 on the intake and exhale to a count of 2. This seems to be a good ratio for me. I have learned that breathing is a great self regulator to your pace. I want my runs to make me sweat.... But, also to be comfortable enough that I can maintain for some distance. Sometimes I find I have to adjust my pace to keep my breathing comfortable..my body speaks to itself, I just need to listen. Not that I always want to..mind you. I want to be better than I am but my body tells me the truth! HOWEVER, if I do listen and adjust.... my body will progress and so will my ability.

No comments: