Tuesday, May 03, 2011

History

The past couple of days I have struggled with my feelings around the killing of Osama Bin Laden. When I first got wind that "something happened"..facebook status updates of course, I searched breaking news and found that he had indeed been found and killed. My first reaction was YES....oh, yes!! Finally! I watched the news, heard our president speak, and got emotional at the thought of 9/11 and the vivid memories I have, we all have. I don't have to tell you how I felt..we all felt it. We were all throw right back to where we stood 10 years ago, with the same ball in our stomach and tears in our eyes.

But as I watched and people began to gather in front of the White House and ground zero my mind shifted and my heart began to feel heavy....There was something wrong with what I was seeing. It send me back to the days that followed 9/11 and the pictures we saw of people in the streets of other countries who were celebrating the destruction of our cities and the death of people. Burning the american flag..chanting and cheering. And I thought....that is not who we are.

Do I breathe a little easier knowing this evil man no longer has control and influence in this world, absolutely. Am I happy to know that under "his hand" the world will never suffer another terrorist attack, absolutely. Am I happy for the peace that this event brings to many many people who have suffered beyond what I can know because of this man's distorted mind, absolutely. I believe this was justice.

What I also believe is that even though this action was necessary I know that I am a follower of The Christ who spoke words like "Forgive them Father" and "Love your enemies" I know TRUTH says the best weapon we have in any situation is love and the continuation of this event is just a reminder of how far we are from a world that is capable of love. It scares me when we engage in celebratory activity over death and darkness because we can only be drawn deeper into that darkness. God tells us choose love and when we don't?

2 comments:

Ken Haynes said...

yep...

Melodye said...

Love this, Lori - thanks for sharing.