Friday, April 08, 2011

diet treadmill and jumping off

I have been on the diet treadmill since I was in my twenties...Up and down..let's be honest mostly up. But because I have been in this arena for 3 decades I have some understandings..although you could argue I don't know a thing if I have been at this for so long...so you can take this or leave it.....

I always find it interesting when you lose weight people will ask you "how are you doing it?" wanting of course a magic answer that will make the daunting task easy, fast and maybe even fun! They always seem quite dismayed when you say "diet and exercise"...like you have completely disappointed them that you have not discovered the secret of the universe.
But it is the truth, it is hard, it takes discipline...it comes off way harder than it goes on AND not nearly as fun!

So here is what I know:
exercise is essential: find something you enjoy to do
processed food is bad
there are good carbs
calories in... calories out
drinking water does a body good
grazing is bad
there are good snacks
once you rid your body of the addiction to things like processed sugar, "white" foods, fried food, soda etc you WILL NOT crave it (as much)
a guilty pleasure treat is ok every once in awhile (let me just say ICE CREAM)
once you start moving you will want to move more
starving yourself does not work
totally depriving yourself will back fire
plan your eating, you won't get caught at the drive through
having a snack? put the amount you want to eat in a bowl and put the bag or box away.
it is helpful to keep a food journal
learn what a serving of food is; a serving of meat, a serving of cereal, a serving of fruit. You will be surprised!
eat the rainbow and I don't mean lucky charms
exercise will give you more energy
















No comments: